Sunday, October 21, 2012

Challenge: Week 3

Challenges from Week 1 and Week 2 were successful.  It's time for the next challenge.

Challenge: Week 3
Hi. My name is Jessica and I am an addict - a soda addict.  More specifically, Coca-Cola Classic. I drink a lot of coke, we are talking multiple cokes a day.  I shamefully admit that many days, coke is the only liquid I consume.  How "Sam I Am" from the famous book by Dr. Seuss feels about green eggs and ham, is how I feel about coke.  Here's my version:

Say!
I love coke!And I would drink coke in a boat!
And I would drink it with a goat...
And I would drink it in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
It is so good, so good you see!

Image source
Reasons I like coke:

  • It wakes me up
  • It tastes delicious
  • I heart the burning sensation as it goes down
  • I enjoy the bubbly fizz touching my nose
  • I have withdrawals when I don't drink it

Unfortunately, this flavorful, refreshing beverage is not good for me... My goal this week (hopefully long term) is to not drink soda.  This my be my toughest challenge yet, but it really is necessary.

It's not like there aren't dozens of other options:
Water - I hope I can stick mostly with this
Juice: tomato, orange, apple, cranberry, etc
Tea
Coffee

Juice would be the easiest replacement for me, but I'd just be replacing one sugary drink with another one. So I'll try to limit my intake there.  As for tea and coffee: yuck!  Can you acquire a taste for unsweetened tea?  I acquired a taste for beer, so I hope tea works the same way ;)

As if I don't have enough reasons to stop drinking coke, here's another one.   I've told my husband for the last year that if he could stop smoking cigarettes, I'd support him by giving up something I love and not drink coke.  Well - I'm so proud to say that he has gone almost 2 MONTHS without smoking.  It's time for me to make good on my end of the deal.  Wish me luck!


2 comments: