Wednesday, October 17, 2012

2 Year Anniversary


Yesterday was our 2 year anniversary.

It all started yesterday when I decided James and I should ride to work together. Buckle up, folks.

James and I work about 5 blocks away from each other, yet we very rarely ride to work together - despite the fact that our drive is at least 30 minutes each way.  Minutes = gas = money.   Why would we do that?  I'm so glad you asked.

Let me tell you why:
1. I like to get ready in the morning at my own pace.
2. James and I are horrible at being in the same car together. If he's driving, I'm telling him what to do.  If I'm driving, he's telling me how to drive, what station to listen to, and to roll down the windows.  I loathe rolling down windows...
3.  I'm a manager and my hours do not end at 5pm on the dot.  I sometimes work 15 minutes longer, sometimes 3 hours longer.  James will not patiently wait for me in the parking lot - instead, he calls every 3 minutes, texts every 45 seconds, calls his BFF and complains about me, and is fuming mad by the time I make it to the car.

I digressed.  Yesterday morning - I thought it would be nice and romantic if we rode to work together on our anniversary. I already pumped myself up before hand, reviewing how I would act, promising myself I'd be extra accommodating, thinking before telling him how I feel about his driving, everything he could ever hope for (minus rolling down the windows).

So, I casually mentioned this marvelous idea to him and he flat out said, "no".   I almost got upset until I realized why we couldn't ride together.. he still had not purchased a card to give me and planned to do it at his lunch hour. Ugh, men.   I actually don't care too much about the card - could've lived without it, but it was fun to see him squirm a little bit to have to admit that he was waiting until the very last moment :)

Here's a picture of James in the driveway at 6pm - not realizing that I can totally see that he is writing on the card that he just picked up... again, poor planning.




He actually redeemed himself on the lack of planning, because once he came inside, he told me he made reservations at the Melting Pot.  This is the very first time James has ever made reservations, so I was happy :)

There was a Thunder game going on downtown, so parking was awful - but we managed to swipe the last parking spot just across from the restaurant.  Then, we were early, but no worries... they sat us early at a very special table called "Lovers Lane".  It was the perfect little room to ourselves.  The surprises continued at the table... 2 long stem roses were waiting for me (1 for each year married). 



Dinner was amazing - all four courses:
  1. Cheddar cheese fondue
  2. Caesar salad
  3. Shrimp, chicken, steak, pork, duck
  4. Chocolate fondue


To top it all off, James even had a picture made of both of us at the table.  He never splurges on things like that!  It was a wonderful evening!

As for gifts... for those of you who don't know, the traditional gift for the 2nd year of marriage is cotton.  This was pretty tough, so James and I just decided that we'd go buy new sheets for our bed.  We wanted a nicer set with higher thread count, so this was a really great excuse to make that happen.


Wow.  I just re-read that last paragraph and it is official.  I have exited the young, fun years and entered the older, more practical self.  I didn't think this day would come so early....



No comments:

Post a Comment