Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Better off?

Are you better off today... than you were 4 years ago?

A couple of days ago, I was checking the newest posts on Facebook for the eleventh second time, and my friend (through my cake making SIL) asked "Are you better off now than 4 years ago?"  Most FB posts are less than thought provoking, but this one made me reflect. 

Let me set the stage for you.

Four years ago, 2008, I was fresh out of college and just finished a Management Trainee program with a 3rd party logistics company.  I was living in sunshiny Florida.  

For many reasons, I decided to change directions and come back to Oklahoma. Once I came back, James and I moved in with each other - before we were married (judge away).  WE were in the stage of our relationship where impressing him was still important (I fooled him, now he never gets breakfast, ha!).  

As I think about what I've done over the last four years, these are what I find significant: 
  • Started working full time for the company I interned at in college, Summer 2008
  • Got engaged in September 2009
  • Bought a house, October 2009
  • Adopted Oliver Brutus - he is so friggin' cute! February 2010
  • Got married, October 2010
  • Changed job titles and took on more responsibility, December 2010
  • Started making custom cakes, February 2011
The last thing of significance that I can recall is starting to make custom cakes - that was in February of 2011.  That means for the last 18 months, I folks, have done NOTHING to improve my existence in this crazy world.

So, my answer to the question: Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago? 
 Yes, but not as as "better" as I thought I'd be.   

So, my action item is to start looking for ways to become better. My weekly challenge is a good start - and a bucket list is soon to follow. 

What about you - Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago?

And because I need a picture for this post - here's a picture of the book I, and a million other people, are reading this week:

Image courtesy of New York Times 




No comments:

Post a Comment