Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Welcome to 2013!

For New Year's, we went to Tulsa to stay with Adriana and her boyfriend, Daniel.   James and I drove up on Monday afternoon excited to catch up with our friends.  Once we got to Daniel's we went to eat lunch, then went to my favorite Tulsa bar, Valkyrie. You can read about my first visit to Valkyrie here

I tried a new drink... the bartender was kind enough to allow me to take pictures of the progression of this concoction.


We start with an egg... a raw egg.
I was a little nervous at this point.



Surely that sifter will protect me from salmonella. 

I had no idea what she was doing at this point.

And done!
Best. Drink. Ever.



We left feeling good and happy and went straight home for games.  

Jenga


Adriana and Daniel
I didn't post the picture, but one of us fell asleep before midnight... I have to admit, I was watching the clock around 9pm thinking that I wouldn't make it either.   We toasted at midnight and then headed to bed for our beauty sleep.

Adriana knows my love language. She made sure I had
Martini and Rossi Asti. So good.

Have you ever wondered about the song that plays at midnight? Auld Lang Syne.   Well, I have - so I looked up the meaning behind it and found this:

Auld Lang Syne is about old friends who have parted and meet again. To celebrate their long friendship, they share a drink together and reminisce of memories from long ago. The basic message is that we should not forget our old friends and should celebrate a reunion with them.

When the clock strikes midnite on New Year's Eve, gather everyone together at your party or celebration to sing the New Years Song and remember the good memories of family and friends from long ago.

I got this information from here, and you can get the lyrics and translation there as well.

Daniel made us black-eyed peas, ham, and cabbage for New Year's day.  So, we will have good luck and prosperity in 2013.. not to mention it was delish!

Happy New Year!!





1 comment: