Saturday, September 15, 2012

Chocolate Covered Bacon and People Watching

 Chocolate covered bacon and people watching... Yep, you guessed it - State Fair time!!

We've come up to a time of year in Oklahoma where it cools down a little and people from every part of the state flock to "The Great State Fair of Ok-la-homa".  For those of you from Oklahoma, you are humming the jingle now.

My SIL and I decided yesterday that we'd go together today and I have been like a kid waiting for Christmas morning ever since.   We've experienced high temps (several days of over 100), so any temperature with only two digits is welcomed.  Today started off beautifully with a light drizzle and a cool 70 degrees - as long as I can remember, the fair is always accompanied by rain.

Some people go to the fair for the rides - some go for games - some go for beer.  I go for 3 purposes only:
  1. Shopping
  2. Food
  3. People watching
The shopping was good - I walked away with some amazing salsa and and a package guacamole mix.  I can't wait to enjoy it while snuggling up on the couch watching a good movie. 

The food.... was everything I hoped it would be!  I started with a FOOT long corn dog - that's 12 whopping inches folks. I was too excited to take the time to stop and take a picture before I finished eating it - sorry. 

I followed up the corn dog with dessert - chocolate covered bacon... this was a new addition to the fair last year, but I didn't muster up the courage to try it until this year.  I envisioned a hot greasy slab of bacon being waved underneath a chocolate fountain and then passed over to me with a set of tongs (no napkins, leaving me to struggle keeping myself clean by shoving it into my mouth all at once and wiping my face with the sleeve of my shirt).  Thankfully, my vision was way off - what I got was a chinese take out box pulled from a refrigerator with a cold, thin, crisp slice of bacon evenly covered with a shell of dark chocolate.   Verdict is: Amazing! Perfect mixture of salty and sweet.



This picture really doesn't do it justice.    

            
           

 Most people would have stopped there - - but not me. I kept going and devoured this buttery jewel.  



And who could pass up this cute little jug of Root Beer?



The people watching was pretty typical - mullets, barefoot kids - and adults, but not even 1 fanny pack. When we were leaving I found this car and have decided that my car needs these - EYELASHES!



I'm certain I walked more than 5 miles today, most of which were from the car to the gate - it was packed.  Hopefully the extra steps helped offset all of the calories I consumed :(   Oh well - overall, today was wonderful!




No comments:

Post a Comment