Monday, June 17, 2013

At Least One Day a Year


I'm not sure if I've shared or if you've gathered that I am a control freak.. so, I'll just come out and say it, "Hello, my name is Jessica, and I. am. a. control. freak."

There has been more than six hundred and twenty two times one time that I've been in the middle of explaining my thoughts to someone (thinking that they are completely rational) only to find the person I'm talking to drop their jaw and shake their head at me.

Here's an example, and I promise I'll go somewhere with this story... eventually.

I've been married for almost three years. Because of this, every single person I come into contact with asks "when are you going to have kids?".  Sometimes I respond with "I already have two - James and Oliver".  Sometimes I respond with, "when your kids are old enough to baby-sit mine".  Sometimes, I just don't respond.

I get the baby question daily.  A few days ago, I'm actually engaged in the conversation a bit.  It went something like this.

Begin story -
Person I work with: "Jessica, it's about time you have kids. When's that gonna happen?"
Me: "That came out of nowhere." (awkward pause) "I guess I'll have kids once I get a new job. This one takes up way too much of my time." 
Person I work with: "Oh, that's not a good excuse. You'll find a way to make it work."
Me: "Well, I just need to plan it out right." (here's where I think I'm being rational) I've decided that I can't wait until I'm financially ready, because I'll always find something else to spend money on." 
Person I work with: "Yep."
Me: (still being rational - this is where I lose her) "There is so much other planning involved.  For example, I want to make sure I get pregnant in the right month." 
Person I work with: "Huh?"
Me: "Well, I want to avoid having my child in December, because their birthday gets merged with Christmas.  And I really don't want to have my child in the summertime, because I want their friends to come to their birthday party. And let's just face it, your friends and their family vacations overlook you in the summertime.   I think March and April are ideal.  So, I need to make sure I get pregnant around June or July." 
Person I work with: (shaking her head at me) "You are crazy - that is ridiculous." 
End Story -

Okay - so, I know that having a child is all in God's timing.  But if I have a chance to sway when that is, why not try? 

You're probably thinking, "Who cares? It's just a birthday. One day in a whole year."  

I think that birthdays are so incredibly important. It is an entire day to celebrate YOU - everyone should feel special at least one day a year.

Okay, so there is a point to my long winded build up.  My aunt MaryBeth's birthday is December 21st.  Like many December birthdays, hers was not forgotten, but it took a backseat to Christmas and all the planning the holidays entail. 

So - my SILs and I decided we were going to have a HALF birthday for MaryBeth.  A surprise birthday party!

We made arrangements at the famous Cattleman's Steakhouse since MaryBeth loves steak. It took quite a bit of finagling to get her there, but we did it!  The family was waiting on her when she arrived. She was so shocked - in fact, she thought we were there to celebrate Grandma's birthday a month early! 



They usher you via horse and carriage from
the parking lot to the restaurant.

My SIL, Maggie and BIL, David anxiously waiting
for MaryBeth's arrival


We taught Roman and Olivia the joy of helium and chipmunk voices!!



They LOVED it!!
Such a great memory!

Happy HALF Birthday, MaryBeth!


3 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! Drew's birthday is December 21 too! And it sounds like you need to start getting pregnant about NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um I think it is totally rational to plan when you get pregnant. I seriously thought that people put some thought into when they had children! I don't want to be REALLY pregnant during the summer, it's just too hot for that! I find you totally normal :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um I think it is totally rational to plan when you get pregnant. I seriously thought that people put some thought into when they had children! I don't want to be REALLY pregnant during the summer, it's just too hot for that! I find you totally normal :)

    ReplyDelete